Saturday, December 29, 2007

Peter Gabriel-era Genesis

Everyone loves the English -- they of the balmy handshakes and dulcet tones. But the island nation really outdid itself when they produced Genesis, one of the most bizarre prog-rock bands in existence.

Unlike the terrifyingly pretentious Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Genesis never left the rock and pop element out of their songwriting. Instead of the ridiculous practice of rewriting classical themes (Mussorgsky never had it so bad), Genesis slipped sly hints of the Bee Gees and the Beatles into their Walton-influenced chord progressions.

But the best part about the early version of this band is the loopy performances of Peter Gabriel. Get more information at Night after Night. Or just watch the clip above. Here's the conversation I had with my brother, Chris, as I introduced him to the joy of prog-rock theatrics:

Me: Wait, wait for it. He's going to start dancing.

Chris: This is so weird, but it's so funky.

Wait, there he goes. That's so creepy. That creeps me out. That would creep me out if I saw that live.

This is Genesis? This isn't the Genesis I know.

Now he's doing his tamborine dance. This is awesome!

What the fuck!

No comments: